DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-9052 Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
Occupational Description:Install and repair telecommunications cable, including fiber optics.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||N/A||29||$22.74/hr||$1.83/hr||$16.65/hr||$18.89/hr||$22.92/hr||$27.01/hr||$29.51/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers||150||$30.31/hr||N/A|
|Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Power Distributors and Dispatchers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Installs terminal boxes and strings lead-in-wires, using electrician's tools.
- Measures signal strength at utility pole, using electronic test equipment.
- Connects television set to cable system, evaluates incoming signal, and adjusts system to ensure optimum reception.
- Collects installation fees.
- Explains cable service to subscriber.
- Cleans and maintains tools and test equipment.
- Fills and tamps holes, using cement, earth, and tamping device.
- Digs holes, using power auger or shovel, and hoists poles upright into holes, using truck-mounted winch.
- Installs and removes plant equipment, such as callboxes and clocks.
- Repairs cable system, defective lines, and auxiliary equipment.
- Ascends poles or enters tunnels and sewers to string lines and install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment and appliances, according to diagrams.
- Pulls lines through ducts by hand or with use of winch.
- Computes impedance of wire from pole to house to determine additional resistance needed for reducing signal to desired level.