DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3023 Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
Occupational Description:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul automotive vehicles. Excludes ?Automotive Body and Related Repairers? (49-3021), ?Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists? (49-3031), and ?Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles? (49-2096).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2020 - 2030|
|Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers||1,350||$19.40/hr||-11.7%|
|Industrial Machinery Mechanics||930||$27.76/hr||20.3%|
|Farm Equipment Mechanics||240||$22.54/hr||6.1%|
|Helpers--Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Workers||150||$12.49/hr||4.5%|
|Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians||50||$30.94/hr||1.6%|
|Engine and Other Machine Assemblers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
- Repairs and overhauls defective automotive units, such as engines, transmissions, or differentials.
- Repairs or replaces parts, such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings.
- Overhauls or replaces carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starts, and pumps.
- Repairs manual and automatic transmissions.
- Installs and repairs accessories, such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers.
- Replaces and adjusts headlights.
- Aligns front end.
- Repairs damaged automobile bodies.
- Rebuilds parts, such as crankshafts and cylinder blocks.
- Examines vehicles and discusses extent of damage or malfunction with customer.
- Repairs radiator leaks.
- Repairs or replaces shock absorbers.
- Rewires ignition system, lights, and instrument panel.
- Repairs, relines, replaces, and adjusts brakes.
- Repairs, installs, and adjusts hydraulic and electromagnetic automatic lift mechanisms used to raise and lower automobile windows, seats, and tops.
- Rebuilds, repairs, and tests automotive injection units.
- Aligns and repairs wheels, axles, frames, torsion bars, and steering mechanisms of automobiles.
- Converts vehicle fuel systems from gasoline to butane gas operations and repairs and services operating butane fuel units.
- Examines vehicle, compiles estimate of repair costs, and secures customer approval to perform repairs.
- Tunes automobile engines and tests electronic computer components.
- Inspects, tests, repairs, and replaces automotive cooling systems and fuel tanks.
- Inspects and tests new vehicles for damage, records findings, and makes repairs.
- Repairs and replaces defective balljoint suspension, brakeshoes, and wheelbearings.
- Repairs, replaces, and adjusts defective carburetor parts and gasoline filters.
- Installs and repairs automotive air-conditioning units.
- Removes and replaces defective mufflers and tailpipes from automobiles.
- Repairs and aligns defective wheels of automobiles.
- Repairs, overhauls, and adjusts automobile brake systems.
- Repairs and rebuilds clutch systems.
- Repairs and replaces automobile leaf springs.