DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-2022 Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
Occupational Description:Install, set-up, rearrange, or remove switching, distribution, routing, and dialing equipment used in central offices or headends. Service or repair telephone, cable television, Internet, and other communications equipment on customers' property. May install communications equipment or communications wiring in buildings. Excludes “Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers” (49-9052).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 5 - North Central||150||26||$27.89/hr||$4.08/hr||$15.46/hr||$20.65/hr||$30.31/hr||$36.19/hr||$38.94/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Sound Engineering Technicians||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers||N/A||$22.92/hr||N/A|
|Cargo and Freight Agents||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Power Distributors and Dispatchers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Tasks for Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Tests and adjusts installed equipment to ensure circuit continuity and operational performance, using test instruments.
- Removes and remakes connections on wire distributing frame to change circuit layout, following diagrams.
- Routes cables and trunklines from entry points to specified equipment, following diagrams.
- Enters codes to correct programming of electronic switching systems.
- Connects wires to equipment, using hand tools, soldering iron, or wire wrap gun.
- Installs preassembled or partially assembled switching equipment, switchboards, wiring frames, and power apparatus according to floor plans.
- Retests repaired equipment to ensure that malfunction has been corrected.
- Solders connections, following diagram or oral instructions.
- Tests circuit connections, using voltmeter or ammeter.
- Lubricates moving switch parts.
- Assists in locating and correcting malfunction in wiring on distributing frame.
- Cleans switches and replaces contact points, using vacuum hose, solvents, and hand tools.
- Strings distributing frames with connecting wires.
- Removes and remakes connections to change circuit layouts.
- Examines and tests malfunctioning equipment to determine defects, using blueprints and electrical measuring instruments.
- Assembles and installs communication equipment, such as data communication lines and equipment, computer systems, and antennas and towers, using hand tools.
- Tests installed equipment for conformance to specifications, using test equipment.
- Measures, cuts, splices, connects, solders, and installs wires and cables.
- Adjusts or modifies equipment in accordance with customer request or to enhance performance of equipment.
- Plans layout and installation of data communications equipment.
- Measures distance from landmarks to identify exact installation site.
- Demonstrates equipment and instructs customer in use of equipment.
- Determines viability of site through observation, and discusses site location and construction requirements with customer.
- Digs holes or trenches.
- Answers customers' inquiries or complaints.
- Cleans and maintains tools, test equipment, and motor vehicle.
- Communicates with base, using telephone or two-way radio to receive instructions or technical advise, or to report unauthorized use of equipment.
- Climbs poles and ladders; constructs pole, roof mounts, or reinforcements; and mixes concrete to enable equipment installation.
- Reviews work orders, building permits, manufacturer's instructions, and ordinances to move, change, install, repair, or remove communication equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment, which includes adjustment, repair, and painting.
- Evaluates quality of performance of installed equipment by observance and using test equipment.
- Disassembles equipment to adjust, repair, or replace parts, using hand tools.
- Repairs, replaces, or adjusts defective components.
- Examines telephone transmission facilities to determine requirements for new or additional telephone services.
- Visits subscribers' premises to arrange for new installations, such as telephone booths and telephone poles.
- Climbs telephone poles or stands on truck-mounted boom to examine terminal boxes for available connections.
- Designates cables available for use.
- Installs communication equipment, such as intercommunication systems and related apparatus, using schematic diagrams, testing devices, and hand tools.
- Climbs poles to install or repair outside service lines.
- Operates and tests equipment to ensure elimination of malfunction.
- Assembles telephone equipment, mounts brackets, and connects wire leads, using hand tools and following installation diagrams or work order.
- Repairs cables, lays out plans for new equipment, and estimates material required.
- Analyzes equipment operation, using testing devices to locate and diagnose nature of malfunction and ascertain needed repairs.
- Disassembles components and replaces, cleans, adjusts and repairs parts, wires, switches, relays, circuits, or signaling units, using hand tools.
- Tests circuits and components of malfunctioning telecommunication equipment to isolate source of malfunction, using test instruments and circuit diagrams.
- Analyzes test readings, computer printouts, and trouble reports to determine method of repair.
- Repairs or replaces defective components, such as switches, relays, amplifiers, and circuit boards, using hand tools and soldering iron.