DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
45-2093 Farmworkers, Farm and Ranch Animals
Occupational Description:Attend to live farm, ranch, or aquacultural animals that may include cattle, sheep, swine, goats, horses and other equines, poultry, finfish, shellfish, and bees. Attend to animals produced for animal products, such as meat, fur, skins, feathers, eggs, milk, and honey. Duties may include feeding, watering, herding, grazing, castrating, branding, de-beaking, weighing, catching, and loading animals. May maintain records on animals; examine animals to detect diseases and injuries; assist in birth deliveries; and administer medications, vaccinations, or insecticides as appropriate. May clean and maintain animal housing areas. Includes workers who shear wool from sheep, and collect eggs in hatcheries.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2016 - 2026|
|Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers||700||$14.29/hr||-2.3%|
|Nonfarm Animal Caretakers||240||$11.39/hr||14.3%|
|Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse||80||$16.60/hr||30.1%|
Tasks for Farmworkers, Farm and Ranch Animals
- Waters livestock.
- Castrates or docks ears and tails of animals.
- Assists with birthing of animals.
- Fills feed troughs with feed.
- Debeaks and trims wings of poultry.
- Maintains equipment and machinery.
- Segregates animals according to weight, age, color, and physical condition.
- Grooms, clips, and trims animals.
- Moves equipment, poultry, or livestock manually or using truck or cart from one location to another.
- Inspects and repairs fences, stalls, and pens.
- Maintains growth, feeding, production, and cost records.
- Mixes feed, additives, and medicines in prescribed portions.
- Collects, inspects, packs or places eggs in incubator.
- Milks farm animals, such as cows and goats, by hand or using milking machine.
- Marks livestock to identify ownership, and grade, using brands, tags, paint, or tattoos.
- Cleans stalls, pens, and equipment, using disinfectant solutions, brushes, shovels and water hoses.
- Examines animals to detect disease and injuries.
- Applies or administers medications and vaccinates animals.
- Sprays livestock with disinfectants and insecticides.
- Herds livestock to pasture for grazing, or to scales, trucks, or other enclosures.