DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
31-1011 Home Health Aides
Occupational Description:Provide routine individualized healthcare such as changing bandages and dressing wounds, and applying topical medications to the elderly, convalescents, or persons with disabilities at the patientís home or in a care facility. Monitor or report changes in health status. May also provide personal care such as bathing, dressing, and grooming of patient.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2014 - 2024|
|Personal and Home Care Aides||7,570||$12.12/hr||37.1%|
|Child Care Workers||850||$11.08/hr||5.0%|
Tasks for Home Health Aides
- Changes bed linens, washes and irons patient's laundry, and cleans patient's quarters.
- Assists patients into and out of bed, automobiles, or wheelchair, to lavatory, and up and down stairs.
- Administers prescribed oral medication under written direction of physician or as directed by home care nurse and aide.
- Massages patient and applies preparations and treatment, such as liniment or alcohol rubs and heat-lamp stimulation.
- Performs variety of miscellaneous duties as requested, such as obtaining household supplies and running errands.
- Entertains patient, reads aloud, and plays cards and other games with patient.
- Maintains records of services performed and of apparent condition of patient.
- Purchases, prepares, and serves food for patient and other members of family, following special prescribed diets.