Occupational Employment Statistics
53-7081 Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
Collect and dump refuse or recyclable materials from containers into truck. May drive truck.
|Professional and Business Services||1,740||$20.32/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Refuel trucks or add other fluids, such as oil or brake fluid.
- Fill out defective equipment reports.
- Inspect trucks prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operating condition.
- Tag garbage or recycling containers to inform customers of problems, such as excess garbage or inclusion of items that are not permitted.
- Drive trucks, following established routes, through residential streets or alleys or through business or industrial areas.
- Dump refuse or recyclable materials at disposal sites.
- Operate equipment that compresses collected refuse.
- Operate automated or semi-automated hoisting devices that raise refuse bins and dump contents into openings in truck bodies.
- Clean trucks or compactor bodies after routes have been completed.
- Communicate with dispatchers concerning delays, unsafe sites, accidents, equipment breakdowns, or other maintenance problems.