Occupational Employment Statistics
53-7081 Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
Collect and dump refuse or recyclable materials from containers into truck. May drive truck.
|Professional and Business Services||1,900||$24.13/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Refuel trucks or add other fluids, such as oil or brake fluid.
- Organize schedules for refuse collection.
- Fill out defective equipment reports.
- Provide quotes for refuse collection contracts.
- Make special pickups of recyclable materials, such as food scraps, used oil, discarded computers, or other electronic items.
- Inspect trucks prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operating condition.
- Sort items set out for recycling and throw materials into designated truck compartments.
- Tag garbage or recycling containers to inform customers of problems, such as excess garbage or inclusion of items that are not permitted.
- Drive trucks, following established routes, through residential streets or alleys or through business or industrial areas.
- Dump refuse or recyclable materials at disposal sites.