Occupational Employment Statistics
53-3041 Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs
Drive automobiles, vans, or limousines to transport passengers. May occasionally carry cargo. Includes hearse drivers. Excludes “Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians" (53-3011) and "Bus Drivers" (53-3020).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||1,570||$13.07/hr
|Professional and Business Services||40||$15.22/hr
|Education and Health Services||900||$14.99/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||300||$11.92/hr
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance, such as regulating tire pressure and adding gasoline, oil, and water.
- Test vehicle equipment, such as lights, brakes, horns, or windshield wipers, to ensure proper operation.
- Drive taxicabs, limousines, company cars, or privately owned vehicles to transport passengers.
- Vacuum and clean interiors and wash and polish exteriors of automobiles.
- Arrange to pick up particular customers or groups on a regular schedule.
- Communicate with dispatchers by radio, telephone, or computer to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service.
- Follow relevant safety regulations and state laws governing vehicle operation and ensure that passengers follow safety regulations.
- Provide passengers with assistance entering and exiting vehicles and help them with any luggage.
- Perform errands for customers or employers, such as delivering or picking up mail and packages.
- Notify dispatchers or company mechanics of vehicle problems.