Occupational Employment Statistics
51-9082 Medical Appliance Technicians
Construct, fit, maintain, or repair medical supportive devices, such as braces, orthotics and prosthetic devices, joints, arch supports, and other surgical and medical appliances.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||60||$31.21/hr
- Repair, modify, or maintain medical supportive devices, such as artificial limbs, braces, or surgical supports, according to specifications.
- Make orthotic or prosthetic devices, using materials such as thermoplastic and thermosetting materials, metal alloys and leather, and hand or power tools.
- Test medical supportive devices for proper alignment, movement, or biomechanical stability, using meters and alignment fixtures.
- Lay out and mark dimensions of parts, using templates and precision measuring instruments.
- Construct or receive casts or impressions of patients' torsos or limbs for use as cutting and fabrication patterns.
- Polish artificial limbs, braces, or supports, using grinding and buffing wheels.
- Bend, form, and shape fabric or material to conform to prescribed contours of structural components.
- Mix pigments to match patients' skin coloring, according to formulas, and apply mixtures to orthotic or prosthetic devices.
- Read prescriptions or specifications to determine the type of product or device to be fabricated and the materials and tools that will be required.
- Cover or pad metal or plastic structures or devices, using coverings such as rubber, leather, felt, plastic, or fiberglass.