Occupational Employment Statistics
51-9061 Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers
Inspect, test, sort, sample, or weigh nonagricultural raw materials or processed, machined, fabricated, or assembled parts or products for defects, wear, and deviations from specifications. May use precision measuring instruments and complex test equipment.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Natural Resources and Mining||20||$32.93/hr
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||660||$23.84/hr
|Professional and Business Services||1,110||$19.45/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Compute usable amounts of items in shipments.
- Measure dimensions of products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as rulers, calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Monitor production operations or equipment to ensure conformance to specifications, making necessary process or assembly adjustments.
- Grade, classify, or sort products according to sizes, weights, colors, or other specifications.
- Discard or reject products, materials, or equipment not meeting specifications.
- Analyze test data, making computations as necessary, to determine test results.
- Make minor adjustments to equipment, such as turning setscrews to calibrate instruments to required tolerances.
- Notify supervisors or other personnel of production problems.
- Collect or select samples for testing or for use as models.
- Mark items with details, such as grade or acceptance-rejection status.