Occupational Employment Statistics
51-8091 Chemical Plant and System Operators
Control or operate entire chemical processes or system of machines.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
- Patrol work areas to ensure that solutions in tanks or troughs are not in danger of overflowing.
- Control or operate chemical processes or systems of machines, using panelboards, control boards, or semi-automatic equipment.
- Monitor recording instruments, flowmeters, panel lights, or other indicators and listen for warning signals to verify conformity of process conditions.
- Inspect operating units, such as towers, soap-spray storage tanks, scrubbers, collectors, or driers to ensure that all are functioning and to maintain maximum efficiency.
- Draw samples of products and conduct quality control tests to monitor processing and to ensure that standards are met.
- Record operating data, such as process conditions, test results, or instrument readings.
- Confer with technical and supervisory personnel to report or resolve conditions affecting safety, efficiency, or product quality.
- Move control settings to make necessary adjustments on equipment units affecting speeds of chemical reactions, quality, or yields.
- Interpret chemical reactions visible through sight glasses or on television monitors and review laboratory test reports for process adjustments.
- Direct workers engaged in operating machinery that regulates the flow of materials and products.