Occupational Employment Statistics
51-6021 Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
Press or shape articles by hand or machine.
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Sew ends of new material to leaders or to ends of material in pressing machines, using sewing machines.
- Remove finished pieces from pressing machines and hang or stack them for cooling, or forward them for additional processing.
- Operate steam, hydraulic, or other pressing machines to remove wrinkles from garments and flatwork items, or to shape, form, or patch articles.
- Push and pull irons over surfaces of articles to smooth or shape them.
- Hang, fold, package, and tag finished articles for delivery to customers.
- Select appropriate pressing machines, based on garment properties such as heat tolerance.
- Finish pants, jackets, shirts, skirts and other dry-cleaned and laundered articles, using hand irons.
- Position materials such as cloth garments, felt, or straw on tables, dies, or feeding mechanisms of pressing machines, or on ironing boards or work tables.
- Lower irons, rams, or pressing heads of machines into position over material to be pressed.
- Straighten, smooth, or shape materials to prepare them for pressing.