Occupational Employment Statistics
51-5111 Prepress Technician and Workers
Format and proof text and images submitted by designers and clients into finished pages that can be printed. Includes digital and photo typesetting. May produce printing plates.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||20||$19.34/hr
|Professional and Business Services||540||$22.57/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Punch holes in light-sensitive plates and insert pins in holes to prepare plates for contact with positive or negative film.
- Enter, store, and retrieve information on computer-aided equipment.
- Enter, position, and alter text size, using computers, to make up and arrange pages so that printed materials can be produced.
- Operate presses to print proofs of plates, monitoring printing quality to ensure that it is adequate.
- Perform close alignment or registration of double and single flats to sensitized plates prior to exposure to produce composite images.
- Examine photographic images for obvious imperfections prior to plate making.
- Operate and maintain a variety of cameras and equipment, such as process, line, halftone, and color separation cameras, enlargers, electronic scanners, and contact equipment.
- Generate prepress proofs in digital or other format to approximate the appearance of the final printed piece.
- Proofread and perform quality control of text and images.
- Activate scanners to produce positive or negative films for the black-and-white, cyan, yellow, and magenta separations from each original copy.