Occupational Employment Statistics
51-4193 Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Set up, operate, or tend plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces. Includes electrolytic processes.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
|Professional and Business Services||70||$14.94/hr
- Test machinery to ensure that it is operating properly.
- Spray coating in specified patterns according to instructions.
- Remove objects from solutions at periodic intervals and observe objects to verify conformance to specifications.
- Set up, operate, or tend plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces.
- Adjust dials to regulate flow of current and voltage supplied to terminals to control plating processes.
- Immerse workpieces in coating solutions or liquid metal or plastic for specified times.
- Rinse coated objects in cleansing liquids and dry them with cloths, centrifugal driers, or by tumbling in sawdust-filled barrels.
- Read production schedules to determine setups of equipment and machines.
- Maintain production records.
- Measure or weigh materials, using rulers, calculators, and scales.