Occupational Employment Statistics
51-3091 Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
Operate or tend food or tobacco roasting, baking, or drying equipment, including hearth ovens, kiln driers, roasters, char kilns, and vacuum drying equipment.
|Natural Resources and Mining||20||$23.62/hr
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||70||$19.30/hr
- Observe, feel, taste, or otherwise examine products during and after processing to ensure conformance to standards.
- Record production data, such as weight and amount of product processed, type of product, and time and temperature of processing.
- Take product samples during or after processing for laboratory analyses.
- Weigh or measure products, using scale hoppers or scale conveyors.
- Operate or tend equipment that roasts, bakes, dries, or cures food items such as cocoa and coffee beans, grains, nuts, and bakery products.
- Clean equipment with steam, hot water, and hoses.
- Test products for moisture content, using moisture meters.
- Observe temperature, humidity, pressure gauges, and product samples and adjust controls, such as thermostats and valves, to maintain prescribed operating conditions for specific stages.
- Push racks or carts to transfer products to storage, cooling stations, or the next stage of processing.
- Observe flow of materials and listen for machine malfunctions, such as jamming or spillage, and notify supervisors if corrective actions fail.