Occupational Employment Statistics
Mix and bake ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods. Pastry chefs in restaurants and hotels are included with "Chefs and Head Cooks" (35-1011).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||1,630||$17.66/hr
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||50||$18.47/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||100||$15.56/hr
- Check the quality of raw materials to ensure that standards and specifications are met.
- Check equipment to ensure that it meets health and safety regulations and perform maintenance or cleaning, as necessary.
- Prepare or maintain inventory or production records.
- Set oven temperatures and place items into hot ovens for baking.
- Check products for quality and identify damaged or expired goods.
- Apply glazes, icings, or other toppings to baked goods, using spatulas or brushes.
- Observe color of products being baked and adjust oven temperatures, humidity, or conveyor speeds accordingly.
- Place dough in pans, molds, or on sheets and bake in production ovens or on grills.
- Direct or coordinate bakery deliveries.
- Set time and speed controls for mixing machines, blending machines, or steam kettles so that ingredients will be mixed or cooked according to instructions.