Occupational Employment Statistics
51-2041 Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
Fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products. Shipfitters are included in “Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic” (51-4192).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||20||$24.84/hr
|Professional and Business Services||20||$19.51/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Set up and operate fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form and assemble metal components.
- Direct welders to build up low spots or short pieces with weld.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Set up face blocks, jigs, and fixtures.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Lay out and examine metal stock or workpieces to be processed to ensure that specifications are met.
- Smooth workpiece edges and fix taps, tubes, and valves.
- Remove high spots and cut bevels, using hand files, portable grinders, and cutting torches.
- Tack-weld fitted parts together.