Occupational Employment Statistics
49-3042 Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, graders, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining. Excludes “Rail Car Repairers" (49-3043) and "Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists" (49-3031).
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Natural Resources and Mining||30||$30.80/hr
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||600||$37.23/hr
|Professional and Business Services||50||$30.29/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers' specifications.
- Operate and inspect machines or heavy equipment to diagnose defects.
- Research, order, and maintain parts inventory for services and repairs.
- Clean parts by spraying them with grease solvent or immersing them in tanks of solvent.
- Read and understand operating manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Clean, lubricate, and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment and vehicles.
- Schedule maintenance for industrial machines and equipment, and keep equipment service records.
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs, using engine diagnostic equipment such as computerized test equipment and calibration devices.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Dismantle and reassemble heavy equipment using hoists and hand tools.