Occupational Employment Statistics
49-3023 Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics
Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul automotive vehicles. Excludes “Automotive Body and Related Repairers" (49-3021), "Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists" (49-3031), and "Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles" (49-2096).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||6,780||$24.55/hr
|Professional and Business Services||90||$27.37/hr
|Education and Health Services||20||$26.68/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Maintain cleanliness of work area.
- Test and adjust repaired systems to meet manufacturers' performance specifications.
- Estimate costs of vehicle repair.
- Plan work procedures, using charts, technical manuals, and experience.
- Test drive vehicles and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices.
- Review work orders and discuss work with supervisors.
- Inspect vehicles for damage and record findings so that necessary repairs can be made.
- Change spark plugs, fuel filters, air filters, and batteries in hybrid electric vehicles.
- Repair, replace, or adjust defective fuel injectors, carburetor parts, and gasoline filters.
- Repair and service air conditioning, heating, engine cooling, and electrical systems.