Occupational Employment Statistics
49-2098 Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
Install, program, maintain, and repair security and fire alarm wiring and equipment. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes. Excludes “Electricians" (47-2111) who do a broad range of electrical wiring.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||30||$30.54/hr
|Professional and Business Services||550||$31.77/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Install, maintain, or repair security systems, alarm devices, or related equipment, following blueprints of electrical layouts and building plans.
- Provide customers with cost estimates for equipment installation.
- Demonstrate systems for customers and explain details, such as the causes and consequences of false alarms.
- Consult with clients to assess risks and to determine security requirements.
- Mount and fasten control panels, door and window contacts, sensors, or video cameras, and attach electrical and telephone wiring to connect components.
- Test and repair circuits and sensors, following wiring and system specifications.
- Adjust sensitivity of units, based on room structures and manufacturers' recommendations, using programming keypads.
- Feed cables through access holes, roof spaces, or cavity walls to reach fixture outlets, positioning and terminating cables, wires, or strapping.
- Mount raceways and conduits and fasten wires to wood framing, using staplers.
- Examine systems to locate problems, such as loose connections or broken insulation.