Occupational Employment Statistics
49-2022 Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
Install, set-up, rearrange, or remove switching, distribution, routing, and dialing equipment used in central offices or headends. Service or repair telephone, cable television, Internet, and other communications equipment on customers' property. May install communications equipment or communications wiring in buildings. Excludes “Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers” (49-9052).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||$35.71/hr
|Professional and Business Services||630||N/A
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Collaborate with other workers to locate and correct malfunctions.
- Note differences in wire and cable colors so that work can be performed correctly.
- Maintain computer and manual records pertaining to facilities and equipment.
- Clean and maintain tools, test equipment, and motor vehicles.
- Inspect equipment on a regular basis to ensure proper functioning.
- Remove loose wires and other debris after work is completed.
- Test circuits and components of malfunctioning telecommunications equipment to isolate sources of malfunctions, using test meters, circuit diagrams, polarity probes, and other hand tools.
- Perform database verifications, using computers.
- Communicate with bases, using telephones or two-way radios to receive instructions or technical advice, or to report equipment status.
- Run wires between components and to outside cable systems, connecting them to wires from telephone poles or underground cable accesses.