Occupational Employment Statistics
47-5022 Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators, Surface Mining
Operate or tend machinery at surface mining site, equipped with scoops, shovels, or buckets to excavate and load loose materials.
|Natural Resources and Mining||560||$31.43/hr
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
- Set up or inspect equipment prior to operation.
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, and turn dials to operate power machinery, such as power shovels, stripping shovels, scraper loaders, or backhoes.
- Lubricate, adjust, or repair machinery and replace parts, such as gears, bearings, or bucket teeth.
- Receive written or oral instructions regarding material movement or excavation.
- Direct ground workers engaged in activities such as moving stakes or markers, or changing positions of towers.
- Adjust dig face angles for varying overburden depths and set lengths.
- Move materials over short distances, such as around a construction site, factory, or warehouse.
- Become familiar with digging plans, machine capabilities and limitations, and with efficient and safe digging procedures in a given application.
- Drive machines to work sites.
- Observe hand signals, grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines so that work can be performed to specifications.