Occupational Employment Statistics
47-4011 Construction and Building Inspectors
Inspect structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
|Professional and Business Services||190||$30.94/hr
|Education and Health Services||20||$50.55/hr
- Quantify energy consumption to establish baselines for energy use or need.
- Maintain daily logs and supplement inspection records with photographs.
- Issue permits for construction, relocation, demolition, or occupancy.
- Inspect bridges, dams, highways, buildings, wiring, plumbing, electrical circuits, sewers, heating systems, or foundations during and after construction for structural quality, general safety, or conformance to specifications and codes.
- Measure dimensions and verify level, alignment, or elevation of structures or fixtures to ensure compliance to building plans and codes.
- Determine patterns of building use to show annual or monthly needs for heating, cooling, lighting, or other energy needs.
- Monitor installation of plumbing, wiring, equipment, or appliances to ensure that installation is performed properly and is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Calculate potential for energy savings.
- Recommend energy-efficient technologies or alternate energy sources.
- Oversee installation of equipment such as water heater wraps, pipe insulation, weatherstripping, door sweeps, or low-flow showerheads to improve energy efficiency.