Occupational Employment Statistics
47-2152 Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
Assemble, install, alter, and repair pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems. Includes sprinklerfitters.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||130||$32.55/hr
|Professional and Business Services||300||$25.49/hr
|Education and Health Services||380||$42.57/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Keep records of work assignments.
- Plan pipe system layout, installation, or repair, according to specifications.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures, or fixtures, such as radiators or tanks, using brackets, clamps, tools, or welding equipment.
- Select pipe sizes, types, or related materials, such as supports, hangers, or hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Cut, thread, or hammer pipes to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders, or pipe benders.
- Lay out full scale drawings of pipe systems, supports, or related equipment, according to blueprints.
- Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes or pipe fittings, using hand or power tools.
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting or threading.
- Direct helpers engaged in pipe cutting, preassembly, or installation of plumbing systems or components.
- Assemble or secure pipes, tubes, fittings, or related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, or threading joints.