Occupational Employment Statistics
47-2152 Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
Assemble, install, alter, and repair pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems. Includes sprinklerfitters.
|Natural Resources and Mining||N/A||N/A
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||100||$49.50/hr
|Professional and Business Services||240||$27.21/hr
|Education and Health Services||210||$50.05/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Keep records of work assignments.
- Inspect work sites for obstructions or holes that could cause structural weakness.
- Apply weather seal, such as pipe flashings and sealants, to roof penetrations and structural devices.
- Plan pipe system layout, installation, or repair, according to specifications.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures, or fixtures, such as radiators or tanks, using brackets, clamps, tools, or welding equipment.
- Select pipe sizes, types, or related materials, such as supports, hangers, or hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Cut, thread, or hammer pipes to specifications, using tools such as saws, cutting torches, pipe threaders, or pipe benders.
- Install circulating pumps using pipe, fittings, soldering equipment, electrical supplies, and hand tools.
- Fill water tanks and check tanks, pipes, and fittings for leaks.
- Install solar collector mounting devices on tile, asphalt, shingle, or built-up gravel roofs, using appropriate materials and penetration methods.