Occupational Employment Statistics
Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints. Excludes “Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers" (51-4121).
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
- Operate mechanized equipment, such as pickup trucks, rollers, tandem dump trucks, front-end loaders, or backhoes.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools.
- Cut pipes to required lengths.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.