Occupational Employment Statistics
47-2141 Painters, Construction and Maintenance
Paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency. Excludes “Paperhangers" (47-2142).
|Natural Resources and Mining||N/A||N/A
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
|Professional and Business Services||150||$39.13/hr
|Education and Health Services||160||$37.68/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||20||$19.34/hr
- Fill cracks, holes, or joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
- Cover surfaces with dropcloths or masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
- Read work orders or receive instructions from supervisors or homeowners to determine work requirements.
- Smooth surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machines.
- Apply primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or metal, for finish coats.
- Calculate amounts of required materials and estimate costs, based on surface measurements or work orders.
- Polish final coats to specified finishes.
- Mix and match colors of paint, stain, or varnish with oil or thinning and drying additives to obtain desired colors and consistencies.
- Apply paint, stain, varnish, enamel, or other finishes to equipment, buildings, bridges, or other structures, using brushes, spray guns, or rollers.
- Wash and treat surfaces with oil, turpentine, mildew remover, or other preparations, and sand rough spots to ensure that finishes will adhere properly.