Occupational Employment Statistics
47-2044 Tile and Marble Setters
Apply hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
- Align and straighten tile using levels, squares, and straightedges.
- Finish and dress the joints and wipe excess grout from between tiles, using damp sponge.
- Mix, apply, and spread plaster, concrete, mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives to form a bed for the tiles, using brush, trowel and screed.
- Determine and implement the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
- Select and order tile and other items to be installed, such as bathroom accessories, walls, panels, and cabinets, according to specifications.
- Cut and shape tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
- Prepare cost and labor estimates, based on calculations of time and materials needed for project.
- Prepare surfaces for tiling by attaching lath or waterproof paper, or by applying a cement mortar coat to a metal screen.
- Mix and apply mortar or cement to edges and ends of drain tiles to seal halves and joints.
- Brush glue onto manila paper on which design has been drawn and position tiles, finished side down, onto paper.