Occupational Employment Statistics
43-9051 Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Use hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, read, sort, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, stamp, fold, stuff, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||30||$20.34/hr
|Professional and Business Services||490||$18.29/hr
|Education and Health Services||80||$21.54/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Stamp dates and times of receipt of incoming mail.
- Remove containers of sorted mail or parcels and transfer them to designated areas according to established procedures.
- Accept and check containers of mail or parcels from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Sort and route incoming mail, and collect outgoing mail, using carts as necessary.
- Determine manner in which mail is to be sent, and prepare it for delivery to mailing facilities.
- Clear jams in sortation equipment.
- Place incoming or outgoing letters or packages into sacks or bins based on destination or type, and place identifying tags on sacks or bins.
- Answer inquiries regarding shipping or mailing policies.
- Release packages or letters to customers upon presentation of written notices or other identification.
- Lift and unload containers of mail or parcels onto equipment for transportation to sortation stations.