Occupational Employment Statistics
43-4121 Library Assistants, Clerical
Compile records, sort, shelve, issue, and receive library materials such as books, electronic media, pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials. Excludes “Library Technicians” (25-4031).
|Education and Health Services||430||$20.13/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Open and close library during specified hours and secure library equipment, such as computers and audio-visual equipment.
- Perform clerical activities, such as answering phones, sorting mail, filing, typing, word processing, and photocopying and mailing out material.
- Instruct patrons on how to use reference sources, card catalogs, and automated information systems.
- Sort books, publications, and other items according to established procedure and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
- Maintain library equipment, such as photocopiers, scanners, and computers, and instruct patrons in proper use of such equipment.
- Manage reserve materials by placing items on reserve for library patrons, checking items in and out of library, and removing out-of-date items.
- Inspect returned books for condition and due-date status and compute any applicable fines.
- Enter and update patrons' records on computers.
- Repair books using mending tape, paste, and brushes or prepare books to be sent to a bindery for repair.
- Operate small branch libraries, under the direction of off-site librarian supervisors.