Occupational Employment Statistics
43-4071 File Clerks
File correspondence, cards, invoices, receipts, and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. Locate and remove material from file when requested.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||10||$19.42/hr
|Professional and Business Services||130||$15.23/hr
|Education and Health Services||560||$19.36/hr
- Scan or read incoming materials to determine how and where they should be classified or filed.
- Keep records of materials filed or removed, using logbooks or computers and generate computerized reports.
- Input data, such as file numbers, new or updated information, or document information codes into computer systems to support document and information retrieval.
- Operate mechanized files that rotate to bring needed records to a particular location.
- Perform general office activities, such as typing, answering telephones, operating office machines, processing mail, or securing confidential materials.
- Gather materials to be filed from departments or employees.
- Sort or classify information according to guidelines, such as content, purpose, user criteria, or chronological, alphabetical, or numerical order.
- Track materials removed from files to ensure that borrowed files are returned.
- Assign and record or stamp identification numbers or codes to index materials for filing.
- Add new material to file records or create new records as necessary.