Occupational Employment Statistics
41-2021 Counter and Rental Clerks
Receive orders, generally in person, for repairs, rentals, and services. May describe available options, compute cost, and accept payment. Excludes “Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop” (35-3022), “Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks” (43-4081), “Order Clerks” (43-4151), and “Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks” (43-4181).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||1,450||$20.49/hr
|Professional and Business Services||130||$12.53/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||380||$14.23/hr
- Compute charges for merchandise or services and receive payments.
- Receive orders for services, such as rentals, repairs, dry cleaning, and storage.
- Answer telephones to provide information and receive orders.
- Greet customers and discuss the type, quality, and quantity of merchandise sought for rental.
- Prepare rental forms, obtaining customer signature and other information, such as required licenses.
- Allocate equipment to participants in sporting events or recreational activities.
- Keep records of transactions and of the number of customers entering an establishment.
- Rent items, arrange for provision of services to customers, and accept returns.
- Receive, examine, and tag articles to be altered, cleaned, stored, or repaired.
- Explain rental fees, policies, and procedures.