Occupational Employment Statistics
39-5012 Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services. Excludes "Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance (39-5091), "Manicurists and Pedicurists" (39-5092), and "Skincare Specialists" (39-5094).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||540||$12.90/hr
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||40||$21.30/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||50||$15.68/hr
- Cut, trim and shape hair or hairpieces, based on customers' instructions, hair type, and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Keep work stations clean and sanitize tools, such as scissors and combs.
- Schedule client appointments.
- Operate cash registers to receive payments from patrons.
- Shampoo, rinse, condition, and dry hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Demonstrate and sell hair care products and cosmetics.
- Apply artificial fingernails.
- Analyze patrons' hair and other physical features to determine and recommend beauty treatment or suggest hair styles.
- Update and maintain customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Massage and treat scalp for hygienic and remedial purposes, using hands, fingers, or vibrating equipment.