Occupational Employment Statistics
39-4031 Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors
Perform various tasks to arrange and direct funeral services, such as coordinating transportation of body to mortuary, interviewing family or other authorized person to arrange details, selecting pallbearers, aiding with the selection of officials for religious rites, and providing transportation for mourners. Excludes “Funeral Service Managers” (11-9061).
- Close caskets and lead funeral corteges to churches or burial sites.
- Plan placement of caskets at funeral sites or place or adjust lights, fixtures, or floral displays.
- Contact cemeteries to schedule the opening and closing of graves.
- Receive or usher people to their seats for services.
- Arrange for clergy members to perform needed services.
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate funerals, burials, or cremations, arranging details such as floral delivery or the time and place of services.
- Inform survivors of benefits for which they may be eligible.
- Provide or arrange transportation between sites for the remains, mourners, pallbearers, clergy, or flowers.
- Arrange for pallbearers or inform pallbearers or honorary groups of their duties.
- Consult with families or friends of the deceased to arrange funeral details, such as obituary notice wording, casket selection, or plans for services.