Occupational Employment Statistics
35-9031 Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
Welcome patrons, seat them at tables or in lounge, and help ensure quality of facilities and service.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||70||$11.89/hr
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||20||$12.28/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||6,880||$11.88/hr
- Provide guests with menus.
- Greet guests and seat them at tables or in waiting areas.
- Operate cash registers to accept payments for food and beverages.
- Assign patrons to tables suitable for their needs and according to rotation so that servers receive an appropriate number of seatings.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to inquiries or transfer calls.
- Maintain contact with kitchen staff, management, serving staff, and customers to ensure that dining details are handled properly and customers' concerns are addressed.
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, to respond to complaints, or to make conversation.
- Assist other restaurant workers by serving food and beverages, or by bussing tables.
- Inform patrons of establishment specialties and features.
- Take and prepare to-go orders.