Occupational Employment Statistics
35-2012 Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
Prepare and cook large quantities of food for institutions, such as schools, hospitals, or cafeterias.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||240||$16.02/hr
|Professional and Business Services||20||$18.50/hr
|Education and Health Services||6,220||$19.20/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||1,130||$17.59/hr
- Compile and maintain records of food use and expenditures.
- Cook foodstuffs according to menus, special dietary or nutritional restrictions, or numbers of portions to be served.
- Rotate and store food supplies.
- Monitor menus and spending to ensure that meals are prepared economically.
- Clean, cut, and cook meat, fish, or poultry.
- Direct activities of one or more workers who assist in preparing and serving meals.
- Monitor use of government food commodities to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
- Apportion and serve food to facility residents, employees, or patrons.
- Clean and inspect galley equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
- Plan menus that are varied, nutritionally balanced, and appetizing, taking advantage of foods in season and local availability.