Occupational Employment Statistics
35-2011 Cooks, Fast Food
Prepare and cook food in a fast food restaurant with a limited menu. Duties of these cooks are limited to preparation of a few basic items and normally involve operating large-volume single-purpose cooking equipment.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||340||$17.38/hr
|Education and Health Services||50||$21.22/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||6,330||$13.61/hr
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment, such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Cook the exact number of items ordered by each customer, working on several different orders simultaneously.
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Serve orders to customers at windows, counters, or tables.
- Prepare and serve beverages, such as coffee or fountain drinks.
- Take food and drink orders and receive payment from customers.
- Cook and package batches of food, such as hamburgers or fried chicken, which are prepared to order or kept warm until sold.
- Prepare specialty foods, such as pizzas, fish and chips, sandwiches, or tacos, following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Read food order slips or receive verbal instructions as to food required by patron, and prepare and cook food according to instructions.
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, and utensils.