Occupational Employment Statistics
35-1011 Chefs and Head Cooks
Direct and may participate in the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||120||$23.74/hr
|Education and Health Services||70||$26.29/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||1,190||$21.42/hr
- Order or requisition food or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Plan, direct, or supervise food preparation or cooking activities of multiple kitchens or restaurants in an establishment such as a restaurant chain, hospital, or hotel.
- Record production or operational data on specified forms.
- Meet with sales representatives to negotiate prices or order supplies.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.