Occupational Employment Statistics
33-9093 Transportation Security Screeners
Conduct screening of passengers, baggage, or cargo to ensure compliance with Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations. May operate basic security equipment such as x-ray machines and hand wands at screening checkpoints.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Test baggage for any explosive materials, using equipment such as explosive detection machines or chemical swab systems.
- Ask passengers to remove shoes and divest themselves of metal objects prior to walking through metal detectors.
- Send checked baggage through automated screening machines, and set bags aside for searching or rescreening as indicated by equipment.
- Inspect checked baggage for signs of tampering.
- Inspect carry-on items, using x-ray viewing equipment, to determine whether items contain objects that warrant further investigation.
- Decide whether baggage that triggers alarms should be searched or should be allowed to pass through.
- Perform pat-down or hand-held wand searches of passengers who have triggered machine alarms, who are unable to pass through metal detectors, or who have been randomly identified for such searches.
- Monitor passenger flow through screening checkpoints to ensure order and efficiency.
- Check passengers' tickets to ensure that they are valid, and to determine whether passengers have designations that require special handling, such as providing photo identification.
- Direct passengers to areas where they can pick up their baggage after screening is complete.