Occupational Employment Statistics
33-3012 Correctional Officers and Jailers
Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institutions in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, prison, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
- Inspect mail for the presence of contraband.
- Monitor conduct of prisoners in housing unit, or during work or recreational activities, according to established policies, regulations, and procedures, to prevent escape or violence.
- Assign duties to inmates, providing instructions as needed.
- Inspect conditions of locks, window bars, grills, doors, and gates at correctional facilities to ensure security and help prevent escapes.
- Counsel inmates and respond to legitimate questions, concerns, and requests.
- Serve meals, distribute commissary items, and dispense prescribed medication to prisoners.
- Arrange daily schedules for prisoners, including library visits, work assignments, family visits, and counseling appointments.
- Conduct fire, safety, and sanitation inspections.
- Sponsor inmate recreational activities, such as newspapers and self-help groups.
- Provide to supervisors oral and written reports of the quality and quantity of work performed by inmates, inmate disturbances and rule violations, and unusual occurrences.