Occupational Employment Statistics
33-1021 First-Line Supervisors of Fire Fighting and Prevention Workers
Directly supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in fire fighting and fire prevention and control.
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
- Schedule employee work assignments and set work priorities.
- Perform administrative duties, such as compiling and maintaining records, completing forms, preparing reports, or composing correspondence.
- Maintain fire suppression equipment in good condition, checking equipment periodically to ensure that it is ready for use.
- Evaluate the performance of assigned firefighting personnel.
- Direct firefighters in station maintenance duties, and participate in these duties.
- Provide emergency medical services as required, and perform light to heavy rescue functions at emergencies.
- Evaluate fire station procedures to ensure efficiency and enforcement of departmental regulations.
- Inspect stations, uniforms, equipment, or recreation areas to ensure compliance with safety standards, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Serve as a working leader of an engine, hand, helicopter, or prescribed fire crew of three or more firefighters.
- Direct the training of firefighters, assigning of instructors to training classes, and providing of supervisors with reports on training progress and status.