Occupational Employment Statistics
Draw blood for tests, transfusions, donations, or research. May explain the procedure to patients and assist in the recovery of patients with adverse reactions.
|Professional and Business Services||40||$18.29/hr
|Education and Health Services||1,130||$20.21/hr
- Dispose of contaminated sharps, in accordance with applicable laws, standards, and policies.
- Draw blood from veins by vacuum tube, syringe, or butterfly venipuncture methods.
- Dispose of blood or other biohazard fluids or tissue, in accordance with applicable laws, standards, or policies.
- Process blood or other fluid samples for further analysis by other medical professionals.
- Calibrate or maintain machines, such as those used for plasma collection.
- Match laboratory requisition forms to specimen tubes.
- Organize or clean blood-drawing trays, ensuring that all instruments are sterile and all needles, syringes, or related items are of first-time use.
- Provide sample analysis results to physicians to assist diagnosis.
- Explain fluid or tissue collection procedures to patients.
- Enter patient, specimen, insurance, or billing information into computer.