Occupational Employment Statistics
31-9092 Medical Assistants
Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician. Excludes "Physician Assistants" (29-1071).
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
|Professional and Business Services||180||$19.83/hr
|Education and Health Services||9,720||$19.77/hr
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Record patients' medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Greet and log in patients arriving at office or clinic.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Perform general office duties, such as answering telephones, taking dictation, or completing insurance forms.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, or physicians' instructions to patients.
- Schedule appointments for patients.