Occupational Employment Statistics
31-2021 Physical Therapist Assistants
Assist physical therapists in providing physical therapy treatments and procedures. May, in accordance with State laws, assist in the development of treatment plans, carry out routine functions, document the progress of treatment, and modify specific treatments in accordance with patient status and within the scope of treatment plans established by a physical therapist. Generally requires formal training.
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||1,010||$32.06/hr
- Instruct, motivate, safeguard, and assist patients as they practice exercises or functional activities.
- Observe patients during treatments to compile and evaluate data on their responses and progress and provide results to physical therapist in person or through progress notes.
- Instruct patients in proper body mechanics and in ways to improve functional mobility, such as aquatic exercise.
- Document patient information, such as notes on their progress.
- Clean work area and check and store equipment after treatment.
- Secure patients into or onto therapy equipment.
- Administer active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage, aquatic physical therapy, or heat, light, sound, or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound.
- Confer with physical therapy staff or others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, or coordinating treatment.
- Prepare treatment areas and electrotherapy equipment for use by physiotherapists.
- Monitor operation of equipment and record use of equipment and administration of treatment.