Occupational Employment Statistics
29-2057 Ophthalmic Medical Technicians
Assist ophthalmologists by performing ophthalmic clinical functions. May administer eye exams, administer eye medications, and instruct the patient in care and use of corrective lenses.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||1,330||$29.60/hr
- Measure visual acuity, including near, distance, pinhole, or dynamic visual acuity, using appropriate tests.
- Conduct tonometry or tonography tests to measure intraocular pressure.
- Take and document patients' medical histories.
- Operate ophthalmic equipment, such as autorefractors, phoropters, tomographs, or retinoscopes.
- Administer topical ophthalmic or oral medications.
- Measure and record lens power, using lensometers.
- Conduct ocular motility tests to measure function of eye muscles.
- Conduct visual field tests to measure field of vision.
- Maintain ophthalmic instruments or equipment.
- Assist physicians in performing ophthalmic procedures, including surgery.