Occupational Employment Statistics
29-2056 Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
Perform medical tests in a laboratory environment for use in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. Prepare vaccines and serums for prevention of diseases. Prepare tissue samples, take blood samples, and execute laboratory tests, such as urinalysis and blood counts. Clean and sterilize instruments and materials and maintain equipment and machines. May assist a veterinarian during surgery.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Professional and Business Services||3,160||$18.90/hr
|Education and Health Services||220||$23.81/hr
- Restrain animals during exams or procedures.
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums, or treatments, as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Perform laboratory tests on blood, urine, or feces, such as urinalyses or blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Maintain instruments, equipment, or machinery to ensure proper working condition.
- Clean and sterilize instruments, equipment, or materials.
- Prepare treatment rooms for surgery.
- Take animals into treatment areas and assist with physical examinations by performing such duties as obtaining temperature, pulse, or respiration data.
- Fill prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Collect, prepare, and label samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Monitor medical supplies and place orders when inventory is low.