Occupational Employment Statistics
29-2056 Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
Perform medical tests in a laboratory environment for use in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases in animals. Prepare vaccines and serums for prevention of diseases. Prepare tissue samples, take blood samples, and execute laboratory tests, such as urinalysis and blood counts. Clean and sterilize instruments and materials and maintain equipment and machines. May assist a veterinarian during surgery.
|Professional and Business Services||2,650||$18.02/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
- Restrain animals during exams or procedures.
- Take animals into treatment areas and assist with physical examinations by performing such duties as obtaining temperature, pulse, or respiration data.
- Clean kennels, animal holding areas, surgery suites, examination rooms, or animal loading or unloading facilities to control the spread of disease.
- Monitor medical supplies and place orders when inventory is low.
- Maintain instruments, equipment, or machinery to ensure proper working condition.
- Fill prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Collect, prepare, and label samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Maintain controlled drug inventory and related log books.
- Perform dental work, such as cleaning, polishing, or extracting teeth.
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums, or treatments, as prescribed by veterinarians.