Occupational Employment Statistics
29-2055 Surgical Technologists
Assist in operations, under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. May help set up operating room, prepare and transport patients for surgery, adjust lights and equipment, pass instruments and other supplies to surgeons and surgeon's assistants, hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||N/A||N/A
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||2,430||$29.12/hr
- Maintain a proper sterile field during surgical procedures.
- Hand instruments and supplies to surgeons and surgeons' assistants, hold retractors and cut sutures, and perform other tasks as directed by surgeon during operation.
- Provide technical assistance to surgeons, surgical nurses, or anesthesiologists.
- Monitor and continually assess operating room conditions, including patient and surgical team needs.
- Operate, assemble, adjust, or monitor sterilizers, lights, suction machines, or diagnostic equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Scrub arms and hands and assist the surgical team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and surgical clothing.
- Prepare patients for surgery, including positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes to prevent exposure.
- Count sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
- Observe patients' vital signs to assess physical condition.
- Prepare, care for, and dispose of tissue specimens taken for laboratory analysis.