Occupational Employment Statistics
29-2032 Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
Produce ultrasonic recordings of internal organs for use by physicians.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Education and Health Services||1,690||$40.62/hr
- Select appropriate equipment settings and adjust patient positions to obtain the best sites and angles.
- Observe screen during scan to ensure that image produced is satisfactory for diagnostic purposes, making adjustments to equipment as required.
- Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure their safety and comfort.
- Decide which images to include, looking for differences between healthy and pathological areas.
- Operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of the motion, shape, and composition of blood, organs, tissues, or bodily masses, such as fluid accumulations.
- Record and store suitable images, using camera unit connected to the ultrasound equipment.
- Provide sonogram and oral or written summary of technical findings to physician for use in medical diagnosis.
- Prepare patient for exam by explaining procedure, transferring patient to ultrasound table, scrubbing skin and applying gel, and positioning patient properly.
- Obtain and record accurate patient history, including prior test results or information from physical examinations.
- Process and code film from procedures and complete appropriate documentation.