Occupational Employment Statistics
29-2031 Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
Conduct tests on pulmonary or cardiovascular systems of patients for diagnostic purposes. May conduct or assist in electrocardiograms, cardiac catheterizations, pulmonary functions, lung capacity, and similar tests. Includes vascular technologists.
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||990||$33.31/hr
- Observe gauges, recorder, and video screens of data analysis system during imaging of cardiovascular system.
- Conduct electrocardiogram (EKG), phonocardiogram, echocardiogram, stress testing, or other cardiovascular tests to record patients' cardiac activity, using specialized electronic test equipment, recording devices, or laboratory instruments.
- Prepare and position patients for testing.
- Explain testing procedures to patients to obtain cooperation and reduce anxiety.
- Observe ultrasound display screen and listen to signals to record vascular information, such as blood pressure, limb volume changes, oxygen saturation, or cerebral circulation.
- Compare measurements of heart wall thickness and chamber sizes to standard norms to identify abnormalities.
- Operate diagnostic imaging equipment to produce contrast enhanced radiographs of heart and cardiovascular system.
- Transcribe, type, and distribute reports of diagnostic procedures for interpretation by physician.
- Assess cardiac physiology and calculate valve areas from blood flow velocity measurements.
- Monitor patients' blood pressure and heart rate using electrocardiogram (EKG) equipment during diagnostic or therapeutic procedures to notify the physician if something appears wrong.